University Licensure

In 2018, legislation was enacted that requires veterinarians employed by and engaged in the performance of duties at the UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine or the Western University of Health Sciences School of Veterinary Medicine to obtain a university license from the Veterinary Medical Board. The license permits a veterinarian currently employed at the schools to practice veterinary medicine in California. Those seeking university licensure must take a course on regionally specific and important diseases and conditions (specific to California) and must pass a take-home, open book exam on the statutes and regulations in the Veterinary Medicine Practice Act.

In addition, applicants for university licensure must have fingerprints on file with the VMB.

For more information on the license application, fingerprinting, required courses, and more, see below.

California Business and Professions Code, Section 4848.1: University Licensure

VMB University Licensure Webpage

Join the CVMA

As a CVMA member, you’ll have access to outstanding benefits and services.

View the benefits of membership»