Business Management Education
- In-person classroom coursework is available as well as online classes
- American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Practice Management Institute
Books and Journals:
- Recommended reading includes recent publications and the classics.
- Veterinary-centric :
- “Business Management for the Veterinary Practitioner” by Jim Wilson and Jim Remillard et al”
- “The Art of Veterinary Practice Management” by Mark Opperman, CVPM
- “Blackwell’s Five-Minute Veterinary Practice Management Consult” by Lowell Ackerman, DVM
- “101 Veterinary Practice Management Questions Answered” by Amanda L. Donnelly, DVM
- “Practice Made Perfect: A Complete Guide to Veterinary Practice Management” by Marsha L. Heinke, DVM
- “The Official Veterinary Marketing Guide: How to Use Online Media, Viral Marketing and Direct Response to Grow Your Veterinary Practice in Today’s Economy” by Jonathan Taylor
- “Trends” Magazine” from AAHA digital or print version
- “VM360” Magazine digital or print version
- “Veterinary Economics” Magazine digital or print version
- General Business Management, Client Service, Communication Skills:
- “Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results” by Stephen C. Lundin, et al.
- “First, Break All the Rules: What the World’s Greatest Managers Do Differently” by Marcus Buckingham
- “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
- “Management Lessons from Mayo Clinic: Inside One of the World’s Most Admired Service Organizations” by Leonard Berry
- “The One Minute Manager” by Ken Blanchard
- “Small Business Marketing For Dummies” by Barbara Findlay Schenck
- “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change” by Stephen R. Covey. Pages 14-62 are most relevant for doctors and staff.
- “Who Moved My Cheese?” by Spencer Johnson, MD.
© 2020 California Veterinary Medical Association